We are currently looking for Conference Rapporteurs!
Sustainable and Inclusive Internationalization:
Reimagining Approaches in Higher Education in an Era of Global Uncertainties
York University is hosting the Sustainable and Inclusive Internationalization Virtual Conference, co-organized by York International, the UNESCO Chair in Reorienting Education Towards Sustainability and international partners, from January 20th to 22nd, 2021.
The Conference will bring together scholars, international mobility
professionals and practitioners, policy makers, sustainability experts and other stakeholders to discuss the evolving status of international mobility in higher education in Canada and globally, critically reflect on where we are now, and to collectively build a future vision of international mobility that is inclusive, innovative and responsive to the global sustainability challenges of our times.
Requirements for Rapporteurs
- PhD in education or in a similar field that qualifies for the themes of the Conference; alternatively: Master´s degree in education or similar field that qualifies for the theme of the conference and currently enrolled in a PhD program at York University or other Canadian university
- Excellent writing skills in English, French is an asset
- Able to analyze, summarize and coherently report on diverse perspectives
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight timelines; organized and detail oriented
- Proven interest in issues of international education and/or sustainability
- Previous similar experience at international conferences is an asset
Applicants are required to have such proven record of achievements that demonstrates their ability to successfully undertake the Rapporteur’s tasks.
Outputs and responsibilities
The Rapporteurs’ overall role is to produce a Summary Record of the Conference. This will be accomplished through the process detailed below. Each Rapporteur will:
- Attend a training and preparations session to learn about the main topics of the YI Conference. Tentative Date: December 2020.
- Attend and participate in all rapporteur meetings before, during, and after the conference. The number of meetings will be kept to a minimum number and dates/times will be communicated in advance.
- Support the development of draft templates for reporting plenary and panel sessions prior to the conference. Tentative date: December 2020.
- Contact the presenter/panelists of their assigned session prior to the conference, introduce themselves and collect potential presentation materials where possible.
- Attend the YI Conference from 20-22 January 2021 including (potential) preconference meetings of panels where needed; ensure availability for each plenary or panel sessions assigned.
- Where possible and appropriate, sessions will be assigned based on the academic interest of the
rapporteurs to enhance their professional development.
- Take note of the main findings and positions, conclusions, and recommendations of each presentation.
- Take note of questions/remarks/interventions from presenters/panelists and participants, as basis for the Zero Draft Summary Report.
- Produce a Zero Draft Summary Report that includes attachments (power point presentations,videos, photos etc. used by each presenter/panelist) for review and comments by the Academic Committee.
- Insert poll results, figures, tables, attachments, further sources etc. into the Zero Draft Summary Report where appropriate.
- Produce a Final Draft Summary Report based on the requests for additions/changes, further comments and recommendations received on the Zero Draft Summary Report.
- Produce all documents in MS Word format based on the draft template.
- Further changes to the Final Draft Summary Report are the responsibility of the AcademicCommittee with the rapporteurs' role limited to answering questions on specific issues arising.
- Rapporteurs use their own hardware to carry out the actions described as outputs and responsibilities.
- The timelines below apply to the actions described as outputs and responsibilities.
Conference reporting and developing the conference proceedings publication
- November 2020 Call for applications, interviews and selection
- December 2020 (dates tbc) Planning and coordination meetings with the conference organizers
- 31 January 2021 Zero Draft Summary Report
- 15 February 2021 Feedback on Zero Draft to Rapporteurs
- 28 February 2021 Final Draft Summary Report
- 30 April 2021 Zero Draft Conference proceedings
- 31 May 2021 Feedback on Zero Draft
- June 2021 Launch event for the Conference Proceedings
Remuneration and certificate
Each rapporteur will be paid an honorarium of CAD$1,000.00 (in 2 installments) for their services and will also receive a certificate of service. The publication will acknowledge their contributions.
How to apply?
Interested and suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending a motivation letter (max. 1 page) and their resume indicating their relevant qualifications, skills and experience on or before 15th November 2020 to helencb(at)yorku.ca. The email’s subject line should be marked: “Application YI Conference Rapporteur”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview via zoom.